People take Harmal by mouth to cure cancer, depression, diabetes, painful menstruation, hypothermia, insomnia, pain, parasites, Parkinson's disease, and a joint disorder called rheumatoid arthritis. People apply Syrian rue (HARMAL)to the skin for hair loss, dandruff, eczema, hemorrhoids, and scaly, itchy skin (psoriasis).
- Effective in providing relief in remittent and intermittent fevers. Also helps in curing chronic malaria.
- Helps in curing Asthma.
- Effectively eliminates tapeworm infestations. The alkaloid hermaline, present in the herb shows anthelmintic properties.
- Helps in reducing sleeplessness and Insomnia, with its narcotic properties
- The plant is evidently effective in curing difficult and painful menstruation and helps to regulate menstrual periods
- It influences the secretin of breast milk in lactating mothers.
- Highly effective in the cure of laryngitis or the inflammation of the larynx.
- A paste of the roots of the plant with mustard oil helps to kill head lice when applied externally.